At Bishop Family Dental, we know how much our young patients love Invisalign®. As a parent, we encourage you to explore this option so that your teen can gain a beautiful smile that they are confident to show off. Now is an excellent time to straighten their teeth before they head off to college. Orthodontics, under your supervision, can be effective and give them a confidence boost for the rest of their life. To find out if your teen qualifies, call 801-274-2500 and schedule an appointment to speak with Daniel Bishop. By examining them in our Salt Lake City, UT dental office, we can determine if this is the best way to straighten their teeth and typically – it is.
Here are seven things you should know about Invisalign® prior to visiting our office.
- Teens love Invisalign®. Why does this matter? Simple. If your teen enjoys their orthodontics treatment, they will be more committed to following through with it. Orthodontics is not a one visit and done type of procedure. It is up to your teen to remember to wear their aligners, keep up with appointments, care for their teeth, etc. This requires a level of commitment. The same is true for wearing traditional braces but the difference is in how satisfied they will be during the process. If you are unsure, don’t take our word for it. Studies have shown that teens wear their Invisalign® aligners for an average of 21 hours per day. Since they are fully removable, that demonstrates the level of commitment patients have when using a solution they actually like.
- Aligners are worn for 20 to 22 hours a day. Invisalign® straightens teeth using a series of clear aligners that look like full plastic retainers. They are fully removable and are supposed to come out when eating and brushing teeth. Since your teen can be aligner-free for up to four hours per day, they also have plenty of time to take them out for band or sports practice, making it possible for them to enjoy their normal routine without interruption. This level of convenience cannot be found when wearing traditional braces, because they will remain affixed to the teeth for the duration of the treatment.
- Replacement aligners are free (up to six that is). At Bishop Family Dental, one of the most common concerns we hear from Salt Lake City parents is that their teen could lose an aligner. It happens and we understand that even the most responsible of teens may lose one from time to time. If that happens, do not worry because we have you covered. Your teen can lose up to six aligners during their Invisalign Teen® treatment, and they will be replaced at no additional cost. This can give you a sense of relief, knowing that what you plan on paying for will not go up as the treatment goes on.
- Less time in the dentist chair. Teens are busy. If you live in the 84124 area and are looking for a convenient solution for straightening teeth – this is it. Invisalign Teen® requires fewer trips to the dentist office than a traditional orthodontics treatment. This is because metal braces move teeth only when the wires are replaced or adjusted. This has to be done on a regular basis which can be once a month or once every two weeks – depending on your teen’s teeth. Most parents find this problematic because it means time off of school for them and work for you. When you visit our Salt Lake City, Utah dental office for Invisalign®, your teen will only need to come back once every four to six weeks. We will ensure that their treatment is progressing as planned but; otherwise, they can switch out their aligners at home, without our help. As a result, you will find fewer interruptions to your daily routine.
- Aligners are easy to clean. Our team can show you and your teen how to clean the aligners. It is incredibly easy because they simply take them out while brushing and flossing their teeth. Using lukewarm water and a soft toothbrush, they can be cleaned. You should not use toothpaste because that can be abrasive, create scratch marks, and make them stand out. If this is not getting them clean enough, Daniel Bishop may recommend using the Invisalign Cleaning System.
- Your kids can play sports. It may not sound significant, but allowing your child to play sports without braces is beyond important. Whether they play soccer, basketball, football, lacrosse, etc., sports are aggressive and can lead to mouth injuries – with or without braces. The problem is that if your teen plays with brackets on their teeth, any time that their mouth is touched, they can get a cut. Even if they are mildly and innocently hit, they could end up with a bloody lip. Things that would never cause a sports injury, can when wearing braces. At Bishop Family Dental, we highly recommend Invisalign Teen® for athletic teens because it is far safer. If they want to remove the aligners and wear a mouthguard, they can. Regardless, there will be no metal brackets to increase their risk of an injury.
- Decreased cavity risk. You have probably been warning your children of cavities since they were very little. Providing them with the right toothbrush and toothpaste while scheduling dental visits has been the best way to keep them healthy to this point. Giving them Invisalign® instead of braces is the next step in that process. Any time that braces are worn, there is an increased risk for decay simply because there are more areas for plaque to develop or food to become trapped. That risk is non-existent with Invisalign® because the aligners are removed while eating and brushing teeth. This way, all you need to do is remind them to keep up with their current routine, rather than showing them how to use new tools or plan for more intensive oral hygiene. As a parent, Invisalign® can make your life easier by making it easier for them to care for their teeth.
Check out what others are saying about our Invisalign® services on Yelp: Invisalign® Teen Salt Lake City.
At Bishop Family Dental, we are confident in the benefits of Invisalign Teen® because we have seen how much our young patients enjoy using this solution. It works. It is effective. It is convenient and we encourage you to visit our 84124 dental office to try it. To learn more or to speak with Daniel Bishop, call 801-274-2500 and schedule an appointment with our Salt Lake City, UT office today.
How do I get started with Invisalign®?
Call 801-274-2500 and schedule a consultation with Daniel Bishop.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of dental terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s oral care guide. 2015
Back to top of 7 Things Parents Need to Know About Invisalign Teen.